Dairy Herd Team Leader
The South Ormsby Estate are looking for aDairy Herd Team Leaderto run activities across the estate and help them to create the best farming estate in the world.
Job Title –Dairy Herd Team Leader
Location – South Ormsby, Lincolnshire
Salary – Competitive base salary 37 hours pw
The village of South Ormsby is an estate of c3000 acres nestled within the Lincolnshire Wolds and is an area of outstanding natural beauty, rich in wildlife. The custodians of the South Ormsby Estate are restoring the heritage of the estate and rejuvenating the local economy. Building upon a historic past, their vision is to create the best place to invest, work, live, play and retire to and the best farming estate in the world!
We have a very exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and passionateDairy Herd Team Leaderto add value to our existing businesses through taking responsibility for up to 10 native pedigree Lincoln Red cattle. Choosing them from the existing herd, working with the estate herd’s manager you will be responsible for the care and wellbeing of the animals. The role will involve setting up a small milking unit, to provide milk for the cheese making at a local cheese maker. Experience on a dairy farm and have good practical dairy cow skills. The cows will be milked once a day with calves at foot. A rotational grazing system using electric fences will also need to be managed.
The cattle will be milked from February to November and will return to the original herd over the winter. The successful applicant will assist with feeding the main herd over the winter, taking any holidays during this time. Part of the role will be to find a local person to cover for weekend milking on a part time basis. This dairy herd will be built up over the years to meet the required need for the milk for the Massingberd-Mundy brand of hard cheese.
• To pick 5-10 cows from the original Lincoln Red herd
• Milking to take place once a day
• Feed and diagnose potential disease and injury of the livestock, ensuring that cattle remain healthy
• Understanding of rotational grazing system using electric fences
• Capability to find a suitable local person to milk and attend the cattle at the weekend
• Reporting to the herd manager
Dairy Herd Team Leader–Skills & Experience required:
• Livestock experience
• Background in farming
• Genuine interest in and love for animals
• Thorough understanding of animal welfare codes of practice
• Experience of working on a milk unit and understanding about dairy cattle and is much focused on cow health, welfare and production.
• Shows attention to detail in all aspects of their work and a commitment to excellence in all areas.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has a background in farming with livestock experience and genuine love of animals.
- Customer Service